About Our Piano Competition
In April of each year, MTAC Sonoma County sponsors a piano competition for students of member teachers. Students compete with others of equivalent age level and experience. Adjudicated by professional judges, awards are given for 1st place, 2nd place, and honorable mention. Trophies and prizes are presented at an Awards Recital.
Competing in local arenas on a smaller scale provides those who choose to enter, an opportunity to mature their performance skills and work to a new level of skill.
Rules and Guidelines for the Competition
Auditions and Winners’ Concert have unfortunately been cancelled due to COVID
1). Two memorized compositions from contrasting periods of music history must be performed. Choose from: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist through the present.
2) One composition must be in the 2012 CM Syllabus. In groups with combined levels, the repertoire may be from either level.
The other composition is free choice. Registration levels for the competition do not have to correspond to the student’s current Certificate of Merit level.
3) Single movements from longer works should be performed without repeats except "da capo". Short compositions from the same opus number may be grouped as a single work.
1) Two short works or one longer work may be performed, without repeats. Time will be limited to 6 minutes.
2) Memory is not required. Performers will provide page-turner and bench.
3) Repertoire must be original works or transcriptions by the composer him/herself. No "popular" tunes, thematic excerpts, or simplifications will be accepted.
4) The student in the highest school grade determines the division.
Prizes will be available for each level in the Elementary Division (trophies) and for each group in the Junior and Senior Divisions.
To receive awards, students must perform in the Awards Recital on Sunday May 5, 2019
Registration Fees. Solo $25, Duet $25. Registration deadline April 13, 2020, NO exceptions