About Our Piano Competition
Sonia Tubridy Memorial Competition
In April of each year, MTAC Sonoma County sponsors a piano competition for students of member teachers. Students compete with others of equivalent age level and experience. Adjudicated by professional judges, awards are given for 1st place, 2nd place, and honorable mention. Trophies and prizes are presented at an Awards Recital.
Competing in local arenas on a smaller scale provides those who choose to enter, an opportunity to mature their performance skills and work to a new level of skill.
Rules and Guidelines for the Competition
Date April 30, 2023
Please request entry forms by email to
Gwen Churchill firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mary Beard email@example.com
Piano solos and ensembles (duets, trios, etc) are open to students residing in Sonoma, Lake, or Mendocino counties, who study with active, provisional, or contributory members of MTAC Sonoma County. They must be in school or home study grades 1-12, and have studied with the current teacher for at least 6 months.
1) In the Elementary Division the students will compete by level. In the Junior and Senior Divisions, students will compete by group.
Elementary Division School grades 1-6
Levels 2-Advanced. Time limit 8 minutes
Junior Division School grades 7-9
Group A. Levels 4-5. Time limit 10 minutes
Group B. Levels 6-7. Time limit 10 minutes
Group C. Levels 8-9. Time limit 12 minutes
Group D. Advanced. Time limit 12 minutes
Senior Division School grades 10-12
Group B. Levels 6-7. Time limit 15 minutes
Group C. Levels 8-9. Time limit 15 minutes
Group D. Advanced. Time limit 15 minutes
Due to time limits, some pieces may be interrupted before completion.
2) Previous first place winners in piano solo must advance to the next level in the Elementary Division and to the next group in the Junior and Senior Divisions.
3) Original scores of music to be performed must be provided for the judges. No photocopies. Purchased on-line copies may be used with proof of purchase.
4) No changes in repertoire will be allowed after the submission deadline, April 18, 2023.
5) Only official entry forms with one check per studio, payable to MTAC Sonoma County, will be accepted.
6) All teachers entering students are required to contribute on the day of the competition.
1). Two memorized compositions from contrasting periods of music history must be performed. Choose from: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist, Mid-20th Century through the present.
2) One composition must be in the 2012 CM Syllabus or syllabus addendum. In groups with combined levels, the repertoire may be from either level.
The other composition is free choice. Registration levels for the competition do not have to correspond to the student’s current Certificate of Merit level.
3) Single movements from longer works should be performed without repeats except "da capo". Short compositions from the same opus number may be grouped as a single work.
Ensembles may be any combination of instruments or voice. All students must be studying with an MTAC branch teacher. The student in the highest school grade determines the division.
1) Two short works or one longer work may be performed, without repeats. Time will be limited to 6 minutes.
2) Memory is not required. Performers will provide page-turner, bench, music stands, etc.
3) Repertoire must be original works or transcriptions by the composer him/herself. No "popular" tunes, thematic excerpts, or simplifications will be accepted. Any vocal songs should be from classical literature or legit theater (no belting or pop tunes).
For piano solos, prizes will be available for each level in the Elementary Division (trophies) and for each group in the Junior and Senior Divisions. For ensembles, prizes will be for each division.
Registration Fees. Solo $30, Duet $30. Registration deadline April 18, 2023, NO exceptions
Competition date April 30, 2023, all day
Location Forsyth Hall, Santa Rosa Junior College